bio & curriculum vitae
SALLY LARSEN: (1954, San Francisco CA) A Native American with Apache/Aleut roots, Sally Larsen lives and works in the city of her birth. Coming of age in San Francisco as psychedelia blossomed in the late 1960s, she found her way to Golden Gate Park where she intuitively sought the society of artists and musicians. Self educated as an artist and as a cultural historian, since the 1980s she has exhibited her photographs, paintings, and video-fresco installations in New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Honolulu, Seattle, and Chicago. While drawn to cameras and computing, her vision is painterly and expressive. Music remains her Muse. Her streaming digital video-frescos combine her photography and her recent paintings with her musical compositions. She has been published in monographs and surveys. An accomplished martial artist and an avid surfer, her philosophy reflects the layered cultural aesthetic of the Pacific Rim.
Selected Exhibitions & Video frescos
- 2012 OCT 25 - DEC 14: The German Eye in America - an installation of paintings, photographs and sculpture at the Goethe-Institut, San Francisco.
- 2010 Henry P. Bosse put to music on Blu-ray, a work-in-progress featuring compositions by Claude Debussy, Ernest Bloch and Sally Larsen.
- 2009 Personal Projections: Streaming digital video frescos, outdoor installation, Lincart Gallery - San Francisco, CA
- 2009 New Work: Streaming digital video frescos, outdoor installation, Lincart Gallery - San Francisco, CA
- 2008 The German Eye in America study center deployed online
- 2008 From San Francisco to LA and Back: a streaming digital video fresco
- 2007 DNA, the Diaspora of Native Americans: ongoing email performance
- 2007 Initial photography for The German Eye in America installation.
- 2006 Relations Indigenous Dialogue, group show, Institute of American Indian Art Museum, Santa Fe, NM (July-September)
- 2006 Ringtones: Recent Paintings & C Prints, solo show, The Pyramid Annex, San Francisco, CA (February-August)
- 2005 Romancing the Shadows, group show, The Palo Alto Art Center, Palo Alto, CA (September-December)
- 2004 Death: Artists Confront Mortality, group show, John F. Kennedy University Gallery,Berkeley, CA
- 2003 Photography Exhibition, group show, Chambers Fine Art - New York, NY (January)
- 2002 Feng Shui, group show, Chambers Fine Art - New York, NY (September-October)
- 2002 Photography's Antiquarian Avant Garde, group show, Sarah Morthland Gallery - New York, NY (June)
- 2002 Microcosm, group show, The New York Chinese Scholar's Garden, Chambers Fine Art NY (April-May)
- 2001 Meditations, solo orotone exhibit, Chambers Fine Art - New York, NY (September)
- 2001 The Big Bang, solo multimedia exhibit, Sacred Circle Gallery of American Indian Art - Seattle, WA
- 2000 Mother Love, orotone exhibit, American Indian Community House - New York, NY
- 2000 Surf Trip, video fresco, indoor installation, Track 16 Gallery - Santa Monica, CA
- 2000 Streaming digital video fresco, outdoor installation, Linc Real Art Gallery - San Francisco, CA
- 2000 Surf Trip, video installation, Yerba Buena Center for the Arts - San Francisco, CA
- 1999 What is art for?, Y2K Time Capsule and performance, Oakland Museum - Oakland, CA
- 1999 Folsom Street Fair in One Take, video fresco
- 1998 Testing the Waters, group show, Perimeter Gallery - Chicago, IL
- 1997 Hawaii, The Contemporary Museum at First Hawaiian Center - Honolulu, HI
- 1996 Obsidian Land, solo orotone exhibit, Perimeter Gallery - Chicago, IL
- 1996 Dealer's Choice, group show, Northern Indiana Arts Association - Munster, IN
- 1996 Digital Photography, group show, Butler Institute of American Art - Youngstown, OH
- 1995 The Gold Show, group show, Palo Alto Cultural Center - Palo Alto, CA
- 1994 No Feathers Manifest Destiny Indicted, group show, Rockford College - Rockford, IL
- 1993 Crystals of Time, solo orotone exhibit, Perimeter Gallery - Chicago, IL
- 1992 Japan & Hawaii, solo orotone exhibit, G Ray Hawkins Gallery - Santa Monica, CA
- 1991 From the White Room, solo orotone exhibit, Simon Lowinsky Gallery - New York, NY
- 1990 Digital Image/Digital Photography, group show, A.C.M. Siggraph '90 - Dallas, TX
- 1990 Recent Acquisitions & Gallery Artists, group show, G. Ray Hawkins Gallery, Santa Monica, CA
- 1990 June Catalog, group show, G. Ray Hawkins Gallery - Los Angeles, CA
- 1990 New Directions, group show, G. Ray Hawkins Gallery - Los Angeles, CA
- 1989 Hsin-I, solo exhibit, Simon Lowinsky Gallery - New York, NY
- 1989 Tunnels Point Transformer Print Series, IRIS inkjet prints developed in collaboration with Graham Nash and David Coons.
- 1988 New From The Past, group show, Vision Gallery - San Francisco, CA
- 1986 Open Studio - San Francisco, CA
- 1985 SNAP/Photography '85, group show, San Francisco Arts Commission Gallery , San Francisco, CA
- 1983 Vatican Double Spiral orotone, and larger mosaic orotones, printed on Kodak glass plates using hand-applied gold leaf.
GRANTS AND AWARDS
2001 Artist in Residence Grant Award from Art21, Paul G. Allen Foundation, and Daybreak Star Arts Center, Seattle WA
2012 Installation Support Grant for The German Eye in America, the Goethe-Institut, San Francisco
Metropolitan Museum of Art - New York, NY
National Gallery of Art - Washington, DC
Los Angeles County Museum of Art - L.A., CA
San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, SF CA
Racine Art Museum - Racine, WI
Rockwell Museum - Corning, NY
Daybreak Star Arts Center - Seattle, WA
Honolulu Academy of Arts - Honolulu, HI
Microsoft Corporation - Redmond, WA
First Hawaiian Bank - Honolulu, HI
Graham Nash Collection - Encino, CA
Chapman & Cutler - Chicago, IL
McKinsey & Company - Chicago, IL
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Publications and selected Citations:
2010 Photography plus book cover and frontis design for twenty Solo Zone Publishing Kindle editions.
2009 Sally Larsen Works-in-Progress by Cristina Deptula at www.synchchaos.com.
2009 Thread by Patrick Trefz (powerHouse Books 2009) includes first published reference to The German Eye in America project.
2002 Mastering Digital Printing: Photographer's and Artist's Guide to Digital Output, by Harald Johnson; Muska & Lipman, Cincinnati.
2002 Photography's Antiquarian Avant Garde: The New Wave in Old Processes, by Lyle Rexer; Abrams, NYC.
2001 Plants used for religious purposes..., editorial by Heidi Dietrich, Queen Anne/Magnolia News, Seattle, 20 June
2000 Water a word worth a thousand pictures; by Sally Larsen, a limited edition color jet book.
2000 The Big Bang; by Sally Larsen, a limited edition color jet book.
2000 In the Manner of Animals; photographs by Sally Larsen, -ine poems by Bart Alberti, Solo Zone publishing.
1998 Western Waters; by Sally Larsen with a poem by Gary Snyder, a limited edition laser book.
1997 Review, by Joan Rose; The Honolulu Advertiser, July 27.
1997 Mana Manna Mania; by Sally Larsen; a limited edition laser book.
1996 Obsidian Land, Photo Metro; Introduction by Jo Leggett; May.
1996 Obsidian Land; by Sally Larsen; a limited edition laser book.
1994 No Feathers: Manifest Destiny Indicted, Catalog by Rockford College; Essay: Donald Garfield.
1994 Review, by Tina Wasserman; New Art Examiner; March.
1993 JAPLISH, a view of contemporary Japan, by Sally Larsen; Pomegranate Press.
1991 Photography; The New Yorker; Jan. 13.
1991 Art in Review, by Charles Hagen; The New York Times; Nov. 22.
1991 Sally Larsen: Absorbing & Reflecting on Visions of Life, by Neeli Cherkovski; The City; December.
1989 Review, by Neeli Cherkovski; Photo Metro; November.
1988 Micro Art, by Ann Hurley; The San Francisco Bay Guardian; Vol. 22: 36; June 22-29.
1985 Bay Area Photography 1985, by Jim Jordan; Artweek; Vol. 16: 31; Sept 28.
CERTIFICATE OF INSTRUCTION:
1994 Instructor: Tai Chi Chuan and weapons forms; Choy Kam Man Tai Chi Chuan Academy, San Francisco, CA